By M. Mazzenga
This book examines how American Protestants, Catholics and Jews replied to the persecution of Jews in Germany and German-occupied territory within the Thirties. The essays specialise in American non secular responses to Kristallnacht and signify the 1st exam of multi-religious crew responses to the beginnings of the Holocaust.
Read Online or Download American Religious Responses to Kristallnacht PDF
Similar judaism books
This quantity examines music's position within the strategy of Jewish assimilation into the trendy eu bourgeoisie and the function assigned to track in forging a brand new Jewish Israeli nationwide id, in preserving a separate Sephardic identification, and in protecting a conventional Jewish existence. Contributions comprise "On the Jewish Presence in 19th Century eu Musical Life," by means of Ezra Mendelsohn, "Musical existence within the relevant eu Jewish Village," by means of Philip V.
Nice variation of the Jewish Bible (or TaNaKh, or previous testomony) according to the oldest entire extant version, the Leningrad Codex (the Aleppo Codex is famously lacking many of the Pentateuch) that dynamically hyperlinks to this publisher's types of the Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon and several other classical Jewish commentators.
The second one variation of this attention-grabbing ebook is the best advent to the significance of the useless Sea Scrolls from Qumran and their influence on our figuring out of the increase of Christianity.
Introduces the Qumran Scrolls to the uninitiated common reader.
Explains how progressive the invention of the Scrolls used to be and their enduring significance.
Sets the Scrolls in the wider context of Jewish historical past and faith of the second one temple period.
- Now improved to incorporate extra fabric concerning the scrolls themselves and up to date theories in regards to the group in the back of them.
This e-book isn't on hand from Blackwell within the usa and the Philippines.
"Goldy's booklet isn't like the other booklet on Jewish theology. He has offered a favored, pithy and intensely informative quantity for the coed in addition to for the common clever reader. .. " ―Jewish put up and Opinion". .. first-class primer on Jewish theology. .. " ―Heritage Southwest Jewish Press".
- Rabbi Moses: A Documentary Catalogue (Studies in Judaism)
- The Jewish Jesus: Revelation, Reflection, Reclamation (Shofar Supplements in Jewish Studies)
- Rabbi Esriel Hildesheimer (Judaic Studies Series)
- Jewish Faith in America
- God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism
- Flavius Josephus on the Pharisees: A Composition-Critical Study
Additional resources for American Religious Responses to Kristallnacht
Initiated by the FCC two months earlier,25 this prayer movement, which had taken on new urgency since Kristallnacht, was endorsed by the heads of 17 major American churches. As Clinchy explained: We unite in inviting all Christian people to join in prayer and intercession on Sunday, Nov. 20, for the victims of racial and religious oppression, 42 Kyle Jantzen who, because of loyalty to conscience or the accident of birth, are forced to endure persecution or exile. This inhumane treatment falls heavily on many groups in many lands and occasions acute distress of spirit in all who believe in justice and brotherhood.
Indeed, Russian communism was deemed by Americans to be a far greater threat that German National Socialism. A July 1937 poll asked Americans—if they were forced to choose—whether they would prefer to live under the kind of government in Germany or in Russia. Over 60 percent of the respondents favored Germany over Russia, a sentiment echoed in a June 1938 poll asking Americans which was worse: communism or fascism. Even in February 1939, after the Munich Agreement and Kristallnacht, more Americans believed communists in America to be a greater threat than Nazis.
19. “The Situation in Germany,” by H. Schoenfeld, dated April 25, 1933. ” 20. See especially the reports by A. J. Macdonald and Bishop Batty in Chandler, Brethren in Adversity. 21. Henry Smith Leiper papers, Burke Library, Union Theological Seminary, New York: Folder, Correspondence—Federal Council of Churches 1934–39, Letter, Leiper to Cavert, en route to Copenhagen, September 2, 1933. 22. , Letter Walter Van Kirk to Leiper, March 20, 1933. 23. Letter, Siegmund-Schultze to Cavert, October 17, 1933.